Saturday 5 November 2011

Draft Layouts

I created four rough draft layouts of how I could set out the different elements in my double page spread. The elements I have included in these diagrams are:
  • Heading
  • Lead paragraph
  • Text
  • Main image
  • Image 2
  • Captions
  • By line
  • Name of magazine
  • Page number

Layout 1
I like this layout as everything is clearly set out and easy to see. However, it is a very simple layout and may not be visually pleasing to my target audience.

Layout 2
I quite like this layout but I feel that the main image should be nearer to the heading of the article so the audience can relate the text to the image.


Layout 3

This layout is different to the other layouts as I have experimented and placed the heading and the lead paragraph in the middle of the page. I have decided that I don’t like this layout at all as it looks messy and the reader may not be able to read the heading or lead paragraph properly as they are placed in the centre fold.


Layout 4
I also do not like this layout as I think the lead paragraph should be closer to the heading. In this layout I have placed the second image quite close to the heading. I think by doing this I have made the article look unordered and messy. The reader may get confused by this as they notice the image immediately after reading the heading and not understand how the image relates to the article. The second image therefore needs to be placed further on in the text next to the relevant text.

After looking back and analysing these layouts, I have decided that I shall use the first draft layout. It may be simple but it looks organised and will be easy for readers to follow.

[Update 21/1/12- I have decided to include two extra pictures of Twitter birds in my double page spread. These shall be placed at the bottom of the second page.]

[Update 24/3/12- I have decided to rearrange the entire layout to include the new features. I will not use any of the layouts above and will use this layout instead.]

No comments:

Post a Comment