Thursday 3 November 2011

House Style

This is the house style I will be using when making this double page spread.

Text size
I have experimented with a range of text sizes to see which would be most appropriate for their individual tasks. Here I have experiemented with different font sizes for the heading of the double page spread. After looking at the different sizes, have I have decided that I will use size 60pt as it is large and eyecatching. I have also decided that I will use size 20pt for the lead paragraph of my double page spread as it is large enough to be easily read but not draw attention away from the title.

Here I have experimented with a range of text sizes to see which would be most appropriate for the large body of text which will be included in my double page spread.

After looking at the different text sizes I have decided that I will use size 10pt as it is clear and easy to read. 

[Update 21/1/12- I have decided to have the lead paragraph as font size 15pt as I found 20pt was too big.]

[Update 24/1/12- I have decided to increase the size of the heading, 'faceless,' from 60pt to 90pt so it grabs the readers attention. I will also change the main body of text font size to 9pt and put the name of the TV listings magazine in bold so it's clearly visible. Also as I have decided to include a 'Did You Know...' fact box, I have applied the text certain sizes. The heading shall be 19pt and the main text shall be 13pt so it stands out from the main body of text. ]

Font
There are two types of fonts I could use in my double page spread: sans serif and serif. Sans serif fonts have no flicks or extra details on them. However, serif fonts have extra flicks and details on the ends of the characters.
(http://alexpoole.info/which-are-more-legible-serif-or-sans-serif-typefaces)

I will use a serif font throughout my double page spread as research shows that these fonts are easier to read in books and other publications compared to sans serif fonts. I tested these serif fonts:
  • Times New Roman
  • OCR A Std
  • Plantagenet Cherokee
  • Bodoni MT

After looking at these fonts I have decided that I will use OCR A Std for the headings and lead paragraph. I will then use Bodini MT for the main body of text. I have decided to do this as it fits in with the technology/ social networking focus of my article as it’s quite modern. I have chosen to use two different texts because OCR A Std would be difficult to read in large bodies of text.

[Update 21/1/12- After creating the first draft of my double page spread, I have decided to change the fonts. The heading and main body of text in my spread with now be Arial. Eventhough this is a sans serif font, I will be able to use this in my double page spread because the double page spread example I looked at from TV Choice, used a serif font. I decided to change the heading and main body text from OCR A Std to Arial as it didn't look very professional as a heading and made the article look messy. The lead paragraph and date and time of the program air date will remain OCR A Std. I now think the two different fonts compliment each other nicely.]


[Update 24/1/12- I have decided to change the main body of text font back to a serif font. This time I will use Times New Roman. Also as I have decided to include a 'Did You Know...' fact box, I have applied the text font styles. All of the heading shall be OCR A Std and the rest of the text shall be Arial.]

Colour
I have already decided on a black, white and Facebook blue colour scheme to make it look modern and eye catching. The heading of the article will be white whilst the main body of text will be black. The background to the entire spread will be Facebook blue. The eye catching blue will grab the audiences attention. My target audience will like this as my research showed that they liked eye catching colours. I have chosen the colour, which is on the right, as it connotates the social networking site Facebook. I shall therefore use the pantone colour of 7455C.

[Update 21/1/12- I have decided that the background of the double page spread shall now be a gradient of Facebook blue going into white. This has made the article look far more eye catching. The drop capital at the start of the article shall now be white as well, so it stands out against the rest of the text.]


[Update 24/1/12- As I have decided to include a 'Did You Know...' fact box, I have applied colours to the text. The text in this box shall be white. I will put it against a FaceBook blue box. The text colour of the captions will now be FaceBook blue as it was difficult to see when it was white.]

No comments:

Post a Comment